On May 10, 2011, at 12:21 AM, schaf...@comcast.net wrote:

> Safari quit working on both of my Tiger PMs (G4 and G5) one by one.

Then that is an issue that needs fixing. Software doesn't 'wear out' or
mysteriously stop working....SOMETHING causes the problem. Look int the console
when you try to run Safari; Create a new 'testing' account on your computer,
log in as that account and see if Safari works. I it doesn't, something's wrong
with the OS or Safari (or the plug-ins for safari) If it works, the problem is
with your account (prefs, cache, etc)

>  Firefox has been bulletproof in operation.  I have the security settings as
> high as they go but there's no setting for "opening safe files after
> downloading".

This is peculiar to Safari.

>  FF promises to "warn me when sites try to install add-ons".  But I worry
> most about Java and Flash, mainly Flash.

Install Click to Flash or one of the similar utilities for FF. Don't worry
about java.

> Another concern is that after my router bit the dust, I've been connected
> directly to the Comcast modem.  This works for now as the G5 is down with a
> bad PS.  This makes me nervous as hell.  But it functions so much better now
> with 2.7MB/sec (21.6Mb/sec) peak d/l speeds, more than double what I was
> getting.  Am I being stupid?

No. And if you're getting so much better speeds, your router was going bad for
a long time before it 'bit the dust', unless it was an ancient, ancient
10Mb/sec router...

> If yes, is Airport Extreme the best way to go?  I currently have no need for
> WiFi.

If you have no need for WiFi, why pay for a WiFi router? Just get one of these :

<http://tinyurl.com/3hxdb6g> or the equivalent D-link or Linksys device.

Also Airport Express is WiFi exclusively. it's one ethernet port is to connect
it to the local LAN.

--
Bruce Johnson

"Wherever you go, there you are" B. Banzai,  PhD