> Linux with it's open-source concepts can't make changes to the proprietary
> code that is Flash. If Adobe doesn't compile it for Power PC there's really
> nothing the open-source world can do about it.

There are a few Free Software tools to play Flash files but all are
lacking in some way - whether it's lack of new features, or lack of
DRM support (not a bad thing), or something else... I've been Flash-
free for years and with the rise in popularity of IOS, I suddenly have
peers.

> In the Intel world there is considerable hesitation to support Flash but it
> is available and the likes of Firefox will link to it when it's installed by
> a user. You won't find Flash code in the distribution of a Linux OS, be it
> Yellow Dog, ubuntu, of others who subscribe to open-source philosophy.

Some distributions make it relatively painless to install; some
install it by default. Some just don't care and you're on your own. I
don't have it installed, and I told Firefox & friends to stop asking
me to install it. The web is much quieter.

Minitube plays most Youtube videos, but only the Linux binaries are
gratis - you have to pay for the Mac binaries. (The source is Free.)

> As for the future of Flash, check out the features of HTML5, especially its
> new <video> tag. There are open-source options like oog.

HTML5 <video> will never include support for DRM, so I don't think
Flash or other proprietary plugins will ever really die. I just don't
give companies that use that stuff my money, and everything works out.

I'm actually switching from this 1100MHz Intel box to a G5, once I
figure out this last little question. But that goes in another thread.