On 27/05/2011 10:58, "Kris Tilford" <ktilfo...@cox.net> wrote:

> Not all G5 Macs came with ADC cards. My G5 had the dual-DVI ATI RV351
> 128MB Radeon 9600 Pro. I've placed other AGP cards into my G5, and the
> ones I've not been able to fit because of slot issues were all slower
> AGP cards. I've not encountered an AGPx8 card that didn't fit, but
> perhaps they exist, I'm no expert on G5 AGP slots. I would like a
> better card for my G5, and I'm considering flashing an nVidia GeForce
> 7800GS 512MB which I understand is the best possible AGP card for the
> G5.

    The slot issues only concern adc cards and even then the agp pro slot in
the G5 will perhaps take any agp card without adc. It's just that the adc
cards designed for the agp pro slot were not usable in earlier macs due to
the shifting of the adc power pins out of the main slot and onto a stub. The
presence of the adc power pins in the main slot effectively meant that no
adc equipped G4 will boot with an 8x card installed - thus the tape.
    The 7800GS is troublesome due to the bios change - the mac version and
the early pc version had the G70 bios - the pc version quickly changed to
the later G71 bios. G71 cards will not flash to mac - only the earlier cards
with the G70 bios are compatible with mac flashing. And the mac card only
had 256MB AFAIK so the 512MB may present problems too - possibly all the
512MB cards are later cards and G71. G70's are occasionally available -
usually involves mailing the seller to get the bios from the back of the
card - begins 5.70 (G70) rather than the later 5.71(G71). The BFG card was
favourite as I remember though several other brands made a G70 card. The
Radeon X800 is also a very good card - problems again though. Have a look at
aquamacs site and forums for info.....

<http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/index.html>

Pete