Yes, but you have to consider that a miniscule proportion of the population actually knows the real performance differences between CPUs. Many people I've met (and by many, I mean most) only judge responsiveness as a measurement of speed, and this, thankfully, can be fudged by adding an SSD, due to the major speed boosts in random reads that SSDs provide. For instance, my 300 MHz iBook feels like a speed demon right now compared to my 800 MHz iMac G4, which has an old 60 GB hard drive.

Heck, I've asked people what brand of laptop they have, and they have to physically check the back in order to tell me… [facepalm]. And they're not sure what version of Windows they're running, obviously.

Another thing to consider is the demands put on the system itself. Most people I know demand very little from their computers – maybe word processing, email, and Facebook, with YouTube as optional. And while Flash has left PPC behind, HTML5 continues to support it. On my Pismo, HTML5 YouTube videos can run fairly well, and even my clamshell can play mobile YouTube videos without any problems.

Even long-time PC junkies I've met have been wooed by old Macs. One particularly ornery PC fanatic (thought his MSI with an i3 was way better than any Mac) eventually broke down and convinced his parents to buy an iMac G3.

Then there's the cost. Personally, I've seen iMac G4s – good, working ones – go for $100 on eBay. And then I've seen them go for $400 with a few upgrades (like RAM and Leopard). I've seen iBook clamshells go for $50, and then I've seen the same model (300 MHz) sell for over $300 with a new battery, hard drive, RAM, and OS X Panther (no CD). The total cost of those upgrades could not have been $250 – maybe $89 for the HD (my CF-IDE was $79), $20 for the RAM, $40 for the battery, and nothing for Panther. Throw a YoYo on there, and you've got $210 worth of iBook that's selling for over $300. Make it a $100 base iBook price (over the average), and you're still making at least $30 each computer, which in volume will start to add up.

Now, maybe I'm missing something. Maybe it's not this simple. But if you add up the numbers and aren't looking to turn a huge profit (which I'm not), it might be a cool way to earn cash on the side.

Obviously, I'm going to cautiously test the waters with a clamshell or something. I'll be sure to report back what happens.

Austin Leeds
Sent from my iBook Clamshell