Sorry, Chuck - I misread the part about the Safari update difficulty, which sent me off into outer space with a lot of irrelevant speculation.

3. Have you ever run the program Monolingual in Leopard, or indeed, in a previous OS X that Leopard was installed over?

That would be a yes.

This may or may not bear on the interesting problem, but I have heard that use of Monolingual can have unpredictable consequences on subsequent updates. I ran Monolingual on Tiger 10.4.11 and haven't noticed any trouble since, but I was fortunate to run across an article on prudent and cautious use of Monolingual before I tried it. I haven't run Monolingual on Leopard 10.5.8 (which I didn't install over Tiger but on a fresh partition), but then again, the old Tiger Home folder did migrate to Leopard. Still, though, no obvious problems have been noted as a result.

I'm glad Bruce chimed in on the "client" question. I wanted to say 'go ahead, don't worry about it,' but looking at the Apple download page, I got confused myself. They make it confusing. Everything is somehow "recommended for all users." Gee, that helps.

Very frustrating, waiting on the slow progress of updates. But is your dial-up connection really *that* slow ordinarily? I had great, reliable dial-up service with Earthlink for years. I think it was about as good as a dial-up connection can be. Even so, dial-up is dial- up, and any big updates or other large downloads were projects rather than routine tasks. I remember it well, and with no nostalgia.

Sean Carroll
slcarr...@me.com

Power Mac G4 AGP "Sawtooth" 1.6 GHz, 2 GB RAM, SATA 750 GB hard drive, Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 and Tiger 10.4.11, Gigabit Ethernet & M-Audio Revolution 7.1 PCI cards, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB AGP