On Jun 28, 12:25 pm, Iamanamma <vsand...@neo.rr.com> wrote:
> Beige G3, OS 8.6.
>
> Can somebody remind me where the setting is that allows me to make it
> STOP trying to connect to another computer during the startup
> sequence?

Try deleting "Appleshare Prep" in the preferences folder.

My source:
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.comm/browse_thread/thread/
fcf24208db7ac1d0/be52c4e81b4b5715?q=stop+automatically+connect+network
+drive++group:comp.sys.mac.*#be52c4e81b4b5715>

It was the third result when I searched on "stop automatically connect
network drive" in the groups: comp.sys.mac.*

All ancient Mac wisdom was discussed at some point in the UseNet
comp.sys.mac.* hierarchy....

There is also some discussion about unchecking a "connect at startup"
box, but I don't think you can access that box unless the drive is
available to mount.   Although there might be something in the Chooser
you could do.

Regarding the later hardware discussion...  It sounds like you might
want to stock up on Beige G3 logic boards.  They have the virtue of
working with ATX power supplies.   However, while ZIF (CPU) modules
will probably be available forever, the VRMs may become hard to
find.    Another alternative would be to lay in a few of the
PowerComputing brand clones.   They also use ATX power supplies.
Another alternative would be the Umax clones which use a modified ATX
drive, but it's pretty easy to build an adapter.

Jeff Walther