On Jul 27, 11:50 am, peterh...@cruzio.com wrote:
> This is incorrect.
>
> All $29 "retail" Snow Leopard disks are full versions, capable of being
> installed on any machine, even one which has no OS of any kind at all.
>
> THERE WERE NO "retail" UPGRADE DISKS!

-snip-

You are absolutely correct that there is no *technical* barrier to
doing a full install of SL from an "upgrade" disc. However, to the
best of my knowledge, the licensing on the $29 disc is for an upgrade,
not a full install.

I quote from this Apple press release
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/08/24Apple-to-Ship-Mac-OS-X-Snow-Leopard-on-August-28.html

Apple to Ship Mac OS X Snow Leopard on August 28
CUPERTINO, California—August 24, 2009—Apple® today announced that Mac
OS® X v10.6 Snow Leopard™ will go on sale Friday, August 28 at Apple’s
retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers, and that Apple’s online
store is now accepting pre-orders. Snow Leopard builds on a decade of
OS X innovation and success with hundreds of refinements, new core
technologies and out of the box support for Microsoft Exchange. Snow
Leopard will be available as an upgrade for Mac OS X Leopard® users
for $29.

Eric