Il giorno 8-08-2011 19:07, John Martz ha scritto:

> Why couldn't you use Firewire target mode?
Because I'm not at home, and the FW cable I have here didn't work.
Since it wasn't easy getting a new one, I thought that connecting the two
Macs over Ethernet would work.

And, in a way, it did work (and was almost as fast as FW) for the data
stuff, but it didn't for OSX. Not completely, at least.

Il giorno 8-08-2011 17:06, Dan ha scritto:

> You cannot make a complete clone via file sharing.
Oh, I didn't know that.

After all, a cable is a cable, so why CCC shouldn't do its job thru Ethernet
like it does thru FW?
Actually, I think it does: the manual states that version 3.4:
"Back up to and from network volumes (e.g. AFP, SMB, via "File Sharing")"

Maybe my problem was that I executed the clone (CCC) from the Mac
*receiving* the data, instead that from the Mac where the cloned OSX resides
(so I hadn't all the "privileges" I needed to copy all the files).

Anyway, today I got a new FW cable, it worked and now my new G5 is fine and
dandy! :-D
Thanks to everybody for their advice. :-)