On Oct 26, 2011, at 8:19 AM, JoeTaxpayer wrote:

> Not long ago, I bought an 80GB SSD, $160.  My latest HD was 3TB for
> $120  $2/GB vs 4cents/GB.
> The price of both keep dropping (I just threw out a 3GB drive I paid
> $300 for) but I don't see these technologies crossing over, the 50 to
> 1 gap may narrow over time, but will see where it flattens. 10 to 1
> maybe?

No. SSD's scale with the ability to make solid state devices, which scale much
more dramatically pricewise with increases in production capacity than
mechanical devices like hard drives. Look at the manufacturing that goes into a
hard drive, compare that to the manufacturing costs of RAM.

Look at the cost of flash drives, for example, and remember SSD's are based on
the same technology.

In the end multi-terabyte SSD's are going to be very cheap, and hard drives a
relic of the past, and I suspect it;'s going to accelerate greatly in the face
of increased hard drive costs.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona