On Oct 26, 2011, at 12:15 AM, peterh...@cruzio.com wrote:

Anyone care to make recommendations for an external hard drive? 500GB
to 700GB's, is cost any indication of quality?Need only for back up,
speed is not a factor, nor is Firewire important. Something in the
$100.00 range.

Seagate is selling USB 2.0 external drives (which include, and require a
wall-wart for power) for $59.99 for a 1.5 TB version, with smaller and
larger ones available, too.

My sister bought a $60 USB 2 only one by Seagate, and I used it to transfer 1000s of family photos to her PC from my Mac.

USB 2 is nice and fast for a direct transfer from my scanning software by Canon.

But, I tried to use Slideshow option from Preview, and Preview crashed. I don't think USB 2 was fast enough to keep up with the show.

Still seems like a good one, especially just for backing up using, say, CCC.

Nice vibrating light and case pattern design ... but I think they were being discontinued.

I would recommend newertechnology's miniStack with an SATA internal drive, possibly from owcomputing.com

It has USB 2, FW and some have SATA connectivity. One of those should satisfy any use.

Oh yes ... FW Bootable too ... that is important to me.