Hello!

I've now received a Power Mac G5, the original one from June 2003. It is the
top model with 2x 2.0 GHz and PCI-X.

This one:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/stats/powermac_g5_2.0_dp.html

The first G5 I ever used was a Late 2005 model, also with 2.0 GHz Dual-Core.

Now, what I noticed—in comparison to the Late 2005 model—is that the fans got
to high speed from time to time. This occures in a certain frequency, but I
guess it's temperature dependend.

I'm currently running Tiger on it. I've got iStats Menus installed and this
tells me that when the CPUs go too hot, the fans kick in. And slow down again.
And kick in again… and so forth.

I then found that there is a firmware update that fixes a fan issue, along with
other fixes – “Power Mac G5 Firmware Update 5.1.4”:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL627

My G5 currently has firmware 5.0.7f0 installed.

Problem is, I also found reports that very few users had worse experiences
with the fans than before. Some even reported problems starting Mac OS X.
(Cannot find the URLs right now, I used a different computer when I found them…
Sorry.)

Also, I would need Panther for this firmware update:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/16233377#16233377
http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/powermacg5/topic2206.html#d27sep2011

Well, since there is no more warrenty of any kind from Apple, I don't know
where I should risk it or not.

Any thoughts?

Cheers and thanks in advance,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250