I fear I have answered my own question as to whether I have a hardware problem
since I am unable to run the Apple Hardware Test at all.

Upon inserting the original OS disk and restarting while holding down the
option key, my eMac will grind for a moment then fill the screen with the
options I would expect. In my case from left to right I get: a Leopard button
over a plain button with a circular arrow, next to that I have a Tiger button
at center left, next to that the Panther CD start up disc in center right
position, and the Apple Hardware Test Button over a plain button with an arrow
pointing right at the farthest right section.

 My mouse is showing up as a wristwatch with the hands revolving and that is
where I stay. The mouse will not select any button, no key combo (tab, arrow,
option everything etc) seems to be able to highlight and select any icon, and
there I sit. Even after waiting 10 minutes I am dead in the water.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Don Wakefield

DTPetc! (DeskTop Productions et cetera!)

Ballwin, Missouri, USA