On Dec 23, 2011, at 4:06 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

On Dec 23, 2011, at 1:41 PM, Len Gerstel wrote:

I was such a complete rank newb that I didn't know how to eject disks, and resorted to Norton Disk Tools eject function, leaving ghost images of all these floppies up on the desktop.

Norton software that worked, I vaguely remember those days.

It was about 6 months later that I got my own first Mac, proudly paying $850 for a demo model Mac Plus at a computer store closeout sale, incidentally racking up my very first bit of credit card debt as well...ended up getting a add-on 800K external floppy some months later,

I guess about the same time I picked up my Plus with a 10MB external (from CMS, IIRC) when they were being discontinued for $1200 total.

then the harrowing and forbidden ordeals of cracking the case and upgrading it, first to 2.5 MB (clipping those resistor leads were literally more nerve-wracking than anything I've done since, including my wedding day.) and later to the staggering total of 4 whole megabytes

I still have the Fluke Multimeter that I bought when I upgraded (newb that I was, $100 stick at a retail store) because you were supposed to check and reset the voltages after snipping the resistor. I eventually had that sucker up to 4mb with a MicroMat 16MHz 68030 accelerator and a 40MB external.

Ahh, the heady days of MacUser, the inch-and-a-half thick tabloid- sized "Computer Shopper" and Byte Magazine...

Back in the day the computer mags were relevant and timely. Well worth the reads back then.

Len