Hello!

----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Are powermac g4 still useful?
Date:    Monday, 02. January 2012
From:    gira93 <diskce...@gmail.com>
To:      "G-Group" <g3-5-list@googlegroups.com>
> Hello everyone!
>
> Hi would like to know if someone here still uses his Powermac g4,

Yes!

> I have a g4 quicksilver (733mhz, 630mb ram) that i still use (and
> love) today for web browsing, web administration and youtube, it works
> very well with 10.4.11.

I have/had the exact one too. But I upgraded the processor. The 733 MHz model
lacks level 2 cache, which makes it really slow compared to the 733 MHz
version of the G4 Digital Audio.

I’d recommend getting a used processor module (+ heatsink) of the Dual-800 MHz
or even the Dual-1 GHz version. Alternatively a third party upgrade will help
a lot.

Even on 10.4 the QS-733 felt significantly slower than the MDD-Dual-1-GHz.

> I'm writing this because a friend said i was "crazy" just beacuse i
> use such an old mac for the "everyday use".

I’m a crazy person when it comes to answering your question: am I still using
an old G4?

Well, I've got a lot of G4s, two G5s and one G3. And what do I use mostly?
The G3!

I got the slowest and oldest of them all running Tiger, Microsoft Office (which
just rocks compared to LibreOffice; I don’t know much about iWork) and
TenFourFox for the internet. I don’t actually use YouTube on it thou. Wouldn’t
work anyway.

I also occasionally use a G4 Cube which I plan to upgrade: a GeForce 6200
graphics card maybe, but I’d loose compatibility for the older Mac OSes. I’ll
definitely upgrade the single 450 MHz processor in favour of a Dual-500 MHz
module that I already have tested in one of my G4 towers.

What else… I now used one of the G5s a lot. I found that YouTube works great
using TenFourFox and WebM/html5. It’s got some issues with the fans thou.

Crazy? Just a matter of perspective. If you can still do with it what you want
to do with it, why on earth should that be crazy?

I ran Linux on my G4 MDD Dual-1 GHz at first. It was great, but I eventually
went for a newer G5 to replace it, which ended in a desaster—just two words:
hardware support.

> So does anyone here is still using his old trusty G4?

I think the replies to your post answer it well. There are still people out
there that keep their Power Macs running.

I don’t want to fall into a negative mood here, but still I find it importaint
to point out an observation of mine that made me think that, sadly, these
times are going to end soon: look at the download figures of TenFourFox. This
will give you a good idea of how many of “us” are still out there…
http://code.google.com/p/tenfourfox/downloads/list – “Downloadcount”

> PS: Sorry for my bad english, i'm italian.
I’m not in the possition to tell you any different than that your English is
great. I’m from Austria.

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250