----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: Are powermac g4 still useful?
Date:    Tuesday, 03. January 2012
From:    Valter Prahlad <valter.prah...@fastwebnet.it>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com

> I can't understand your concern. Am I missing something?
>
> Number of download seems increasing to me.
> Considering only the "RC/final" 4 versions (G3, G4x2, G5):
> TFF 4.0.1 = 19904
> TFF 7.0 = 20703
> TFF 8.0 = 22334

I for one downloaded TenFourFox in *all* its optimized builds, because I do
have a G3, G4s (both kinds: 7400 and 7450) and G5s.

So, 1) technically you should only count me once. And 2) I am sure that some
people downloaded it twice.

I’d estimate no more than 10,000 TenFourFox users, which is then in return a
good estimate of users still running PowerPC-based Macs.

On the other side there are some million Firefox users.

Don’t get me wrong. I’d say that 10,000 is enough to keep the developement
going, and I’m very very grateful and happy that Cameron Kaiser and Floodgap
Systems is doing all the work. I love the idea of having an AltiVec-optimized
WebM engine on my PowerMac, and the faster JavaScript interpreter, which makes
me wonder where it has been all these years before TenFourFox!

> I didn't consider TFF 9, because it's still "work in progress".
> DL numbers seem going up, though.

Version 9.0 is current, you should update immediately as it closes a few
security holes and fixes some bugs.

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250