On Feb 8, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Valter Prahlad wrote:

> Hi people!
>
> I'm looking for a cheap Webcam (with built-in microphone) to use with my
> PowerMac G5 DP 2.7, with OSX 10.4.11.
>
> From what I got reading around, webcams with dedicated Mac drivers are
> expensive.
> OTOH, any UVC webcam (USB video device class) should work with any Mac with
> OSX 10.4.9 or later.
>
> AFAIK the Logitech C210 and Microsoft Lifecam VX-800 should be both UVC, and
> the reviews say their quality is good - I'm not picky about video quality,
> but I'd rather have a good audio.
> But I'm not 100% sure they will work in a Mac (I could return them in case
> they don't, but I'd rather have some info beforehand).
>
> I know about Macam http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/index.html
> but its webcam list doesn't include any webcam I found in the shops around.
>
> Had any of you success in using a cheap (I mean 10-25$) "PC" webcam on your
> Mac? Any recommendations?

I've never had any problems with any webcam I plugged in. Many webcams aren't
on macam's support list but work because there just aren't that many webcam
chipsets out there.

ANY UVC-compliant web cam will work out of the box.

As for audio quality, if it's that important, I'd invest in a decent mike
anyway. There are a bunch if USB ones out there that'll work with OS X out of
the box as USB audio devices, but I"m not entirely sure how far back that
support goes; the Mac I set up for that was running 10.5.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona