On 23/02/2012 19:50, "David W. Morris" <bbh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience in flashing a PC video card with the
> AGP slot connection for use in a G4 PowerMac (or G5 PowerMac), by
> installing it into the Mac and using a remote desktop program to
> display the screen on a different computer, so the re-flashing process
> can be run on the Mac while it has no working video card display?
>
> Sounds like a crazy idea, I know.  But if a person doesn't have a
> Windows PC with an AGP slot any longer, and doesn't have a PCI video
> card that works on a Mac, what are the other options available?
>
> I have a 128mb VRAM Windows version of the ATI Radeon 8500, that I
> want to use in my dual 1.25GHz G4 PowerMac MDD, which I have upgraded
> to stock Apple dual 1.42GHz  G4 CPU module.
>
> David

    It was fairly common among the old flashing brigade - much less common
now due to the death of the original pci and agp - and is usually achieved
by running Panther through chicken of the vnc - or any vnc controller.
Panther because it will boot with a non mac card installed. The flashing
software is Graphiccelerator but be aware that it will flash all the ATI
cards installed - both pci and agp - a cautionary note if you do have an ATI
pci card to boot and flash the ATI agp.
    There never was a 128MB ATI 8500 for the mac so no standard rom - just
the 64MB version - so you may end up with half the vram. Also the 128MB
version for the pc was known as the 8500LE and as far as I can remember a
cut down version with vga and a strange dvi port that has no vga and will
not take an adapter.
    Aquamac details the how on his site with an X800...

<http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/macx800xtaqua-ma.html>

Pete