Hi Wayne,

> > > the model i want to use it in is the 1.25 mhz year 2003 167 mhz bus 400
> > fw,

> i was supposed to use this mdd for soundripping editing cleaning etc, all
> the macs have had some backgroundnoise on the sound out when moving cursor,
> using psu power,
> and it leaks through the system ground so that it will affect all other
> connected soundouts,
> on the system, the amp is an old revox a 50
>
> someone said that you need to leave a cable connected in the mini jack, but
> that produces only a small effect
>
> there is a nethum,syntesizerlike splashes and fireworks and like automatic
> gunfire sounds that are so loud that u can not here the sound you are
> workin on.
>
> is the mdd the shitty last attempt that apple then gave up or what, ?'

I have a similar problem with my MDD but I noticed it only when I
changed my monitor. I have a nice HD Samsung digital TV as a monitor
now and the sounds you describe come out of its speakers - I have my
system sounds from the speakers, connected to the sound out minijack
and the main sound out from a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 digital output to
my hi-end stereo set. When it's very late I switch the main sound to
the Samsung's speakers, too.

I noticed the sounds (they remind me of a video arcade far away) after
I installed the optional CHUD controls with which I switch off one of
the CPUs of my MDD. It's a good thing because I listen mostly to AIFFs
from my harddisks and the dual MDD's fans can get too noisy when
listening to low volume music.

Another funny thing is that the chattering sounds sometimes disappear
when I bring another app to the front like my Camino browser and then
they start again when I bring another app in front of the browser ...

It's a ghost in the machine :-)

I love my MDD, otherwise.  I'm running Tiger and sometimes Panther
when I want to use older Adobe apps under Classic. Their newer stuff
is bloatware and even opening a simple page in Illustrator takes ages
on a dual MDD 1.25, I still use CS2.

I'm a bit disappointed in Apple, have been using Macs from 1990 as a
graphic designer and nowadays all I see are "lifestyle" gadgets with
the Apple logo. But I'm an old man now ;-)

> apart from the noisy fans, that do not disturb me while using headphones

I also use headphones sometimes, a Stax Lambda Nova Signature set and
love it. Also great with movies, the M-Audio Rev card has a nice fake
surround setting - if I get it to work. The Mac drivers for that card
are total crap, the "upgraded" ones are even worse.

When I saw M-Audio ads in recording magazines the guys always used
Macs :-) Go figure ...

Good luck, Jörg.