Hi,

> Your dual 1.25 will have a 2mb cache while the single will have a 1mb
> so a dual running on one processor should still be faster than a
> single.

Why not just install CHUD, a toolbox for developers? Then  you can
switch on and off one of the CPUs with a mouse click ...

This option has been discussed here and I did it. It works great. When
I listen to music, watch a DVD or leave my Mac on at night to download
big files I switch it to single CPU mode. When I need all the power I
can get, browsing on the net or using Adobe apps, I turn on the second
CPU. Works like a charm, de difference in temperature can be up to 16
centigrades.

Downgrading a dual MDD would not be very wise IMHO.

Regards, Jörg.