G4 USB external hd will not start up 10.5

Wanted to make my new 500Gb external hd able to start up G4 PPC and also Intel
ON SECOND MACHINE.

For the G4 PPC, using Disk Utility, setting 1 partition and loading OS 9
drivers, under OPTIONS you can select Start Up as and option and USE Apple
partition map.

Then using OS 5 installer, I get two modes:
1. Normal install, but will not finish, STOPPING after several hours, saying
you can not install.
2. Refusal to install, with note you can not start up using external USB HD,
but if you click on the disk, a new offer is made letting you install.
3. Neither works, WHY?

For the MacBook, which is Intel, it will be necessary to select, in the Disk
Utility settings, use GULD format NOT APPLE format.

Then using OS 5 installer, same problem.

What is going on?

jml