On Apr 16, 2012, at 10:20 PM, oneoftheharts wrote:

> I don't post very often and when I do I seem to be told that I posted
> to the wrong group.  Maybe if this is the case again, someone can
> kindly direct me to the right list.  FYI, I've been around since the
> Quadlist helped me with my Centris 610...
>
> For those who don't have a .mac account and wonder what is the
> problem, after June 30, these accounts will only work on newer iPhones/
> iPads/iPods, Macs that run Lion, and PCs that run Windows Vista or
> Windows 7.
>
> I have a G4 Powerbook.  I had to upgrade my phone so I got an iPhone,
> and it now syncs to the iCloud.  But I want to continue to access my
> email from my computer (imagine that).  Has anyone with a G4 been able
> to sync their .mac email account since this change began to occur?
> Supposedly we have to convert by June 30, but as of April 9 I have
> gotten this prompt:
>
> The .Mac server “mail.mac.com” rejected the password for user (my
> username)...
>
> and I can't log in.  I can't log in from Mail and I can't log in from
> the .me/.mac links (web-based) either.  They are forcing me to either
> buy a newer computer or give up my .mac email address that I've had
> since the first day they were available.
>
> Incidentally, my login info still works from my iPhone, such as when I
> DL iTunes, apps, etc.
>
> I've chatted with technical support, and they say there's no way...
>
> Thanks so much for your help,
> Claire Hart

Just another example of Apple throwing folks under the bus even though their
devices have a lot of life left in 'em.

In fact I can remember a couple of email services started by Apple and after a
couple of years they were discontinued.

Specifically, I don't have a good suggestion but can offer some solace that a
friend who has been a Mac guy is in the same boat as you and he has much newer
equipment.

Good luck...  JT