On Apr 17, 2012, at 10:46 AM, Darryl wrote:

> Since they killed ppc and put profit above quality,

Oh puleeeze. Look at the service history of the G5 iMac versus even the
first-gen Intel one, it's no contest.

I've seen almost no repair issues at all with any of the modern intel Macs
we've got in our hands, even the first Macbooks with the alleged handrest
problems (which I never saw in person). I've seen only two that wasn't a hard
drive failure, one keyboard failure and the dead display on my 17" MacBook pro
(which was purchased with the dead display, and repaired by me)

As for the dumb "PPC is better" argument, that, too doesn't hold up.

As I noted, nether Motorola or IBM were able or interested in producing
high-performance, low power CPU's for the laptop market, or anything for Apple,
actually.

Intel on the other hand was VERY happy to work with Apple, the ONLY computer
company that Intel doesn't have to subsidize (That "Intel Inside" sticker means
that Intel is paying the manufacturer a bit of their marketing costs for every
computer going out with that sticker.).

The folks at Apple were also smart enough to look past the hype about AMD, and
see that what Intel was showing them would kick AMD's butt all over the place;
which they have.

Finally, if you look at the actual constant dollars, Macs have NEVER, EVER been
cheaper.

At the time the PPC came out, RISC systems were clearly superior to CISC
systems like Intel's CPU's. Had either Motorola or IBM been at all interested
in maintaining a presence in the general purpose computer CPU market, the story
would likely be considerably different.

But they weren't. Motorola's primary market for the PPC wasn't remotely
computers like the Mac, but embedded systems: cars, refrigerators, washing
machines, industrial control systems. IBM's focus was on making high power
CPU's for their CPUS. INtel rapidly adopted RISC-like features into their
designs, and continued to improve them, focusing particularly on making
high-perfomance CPUS for the laptop market. Apple teamed up with a company
whose main line of business was aligned with Apple's for a change.

I am confident that Apple would be nowhere near where they are today, if they
existed AT ALL, without their switch to Intel, and the odds on the 'no longer
existing at all' were by far the better ones.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona