Bruce, Mac User, and Ken:

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

After posting my last reply, I shut down the MDD and took a nap for a
couple of hours (I was up till 4:00 AM).

When I started it up, it took a bit longer than usual, and there was a lot
of disk activity. So I let it go, and even after it had, to all
appearances, completed start-up, there was still a lot of disk activity,
really churning. It was clear that the machine was doing something,
although I had not opened any applications.

So I let it do its thing, which took about 10 minutes. When the machine had
stopped al the disk churning, I checked the "network" panel in System
Preferences, which reported a valid IP address.

I fired up Safari, and, halleluia, it loaded my home page. Browsers are
surfing the web just fine now. I had done/changed NOTHING. It seems that OS
X fixed the problem all on its own. I just wish it hadn't cost me a few
hours of sleep in the meantime.

Any ideas on what the OS might have done, or what the problem may have been?

Thanks again!

Rob Johansen