This thread has actually returned in its own way to the topic of
browsers---in a general sense---and how to stay on the low-end as
sites like Google demand more and more computer resources.

For example, when I was limited to using my G3 iBook, and my G4 stock
Digital Audio, I often took refuge in the Elinks text browser:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELinks

It runs in the Terminal and reminds of my original internet experience
of modeming in to my University Vax account, running Gopher. It is
*especially* well suited to Google Groups as it eliminates all
formatting other than ASCII text. It can also be used for Gmail and
Yahoo mail. When I begin to detest how much WWW has become like TV, I
use ELinks.

As for Facebook, there is a Firefox addon called Facebook Purity which
reverses some of the more egregious nonsense---as far as the
formatting is concerned.

Right now I am responding to this Google Groups thread through the
Basic HTML version of Gmail---which, by the way, selects for you if
quoted text appears above or below your reply. There is even a more
barebones version of Gmail, the mobile version you can run in your
browser. I don't think I will be posting through the Groups interface
on principle.