On Aug 28, 11:43 am, Oliver Fairhall <o.fairh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From memory,
> the SCSI maintains some level of backwards compatibility, as long as the
> appropriate cabling is used (eg SCSI 1 devices on SCSI 2 host).
>
> Thanks everyone for you help so far. Are there any suggestions for a
> suitable G4 with more PCI slots?

Forgot a couple of questions.   Yes, as far as I know all the SCSI
controllers will drop back to earlier protocols if an older device is
present on the bus.  Some of the newer U320 SCSI drives won't, but
that's probably not an issue for you in this case.

The MDD has the most PCI slots you can get in a G4 PowerMac.  It has
four PCI slots, plus the AGP slot for the graphics card.   It was a
very nice machine in that way.   The only way to get more PCI slots in
one box would be to get a PowerMac 9500 (or 9600, or Daystar Genesis,
or PowerComputing PowerTower Pro) and install a G4 upgrade.   The
9500/9600 has six PCI slots.

However, the 9500/9600 would have a much slower memory bus.  The
fastest G4 upgrade available is 800 MHz (was there a 1 GHz?).  There's
no AGP slot so your effective PCI slots drop to 5, because you spend
one on a graphics card.   There's no USB nor Firewire, so if you need
those, that's another slot and you're back down to the four that the
MDD has.  It does have SCSI built-in, so potentially, that saves you a
slot, but the faster of the two SCSI busses is only Fast SCSI (10 MB/s
theoretical).   The slow built-in SCSI also means that your hard drive
access is slow unless you add a fast SCSI card and drives, or an ATA
or SATA card, which would cost another PCI slot.   Finally the built-
in ethernet is 10 Mbps.

So, unless you could live with all those limitations, I think the MDD
has the most available PCI slots you can get.

Jeff Walther