On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 11:43:23 AM UTC-5, oli wrote:

> I think at this point, I will replace one of my Scope cards with an Atto
> SCSI adapter. I don't really know much about which adapter to go for,
> though Atto seems to be well regarded. Any advice on that? From memory,
> the SCSI maintains some level of backwards compatibility, as long as the
> appropriate cabling is used (eg SCSI 1 devices on SCSI 2 host).

Bah.  When I wrote "Initio" in my original message, I meant "Atto".   Leaky
brain.

The Atto cards are great, from what I've read, but ones like the UL3D and
UL4D are dual ported cards.  I had a UL2D and it had to be installed in a
non-Bridge slot in the Umax S900 in order to work.

They will work fine in one of your MDD's slots, but *might* have problems
if you get an expansion chassis.   As I wrote, I don't know if Apple fixed
that bug after the x500/x600 PCI PowerMacs.

I think that the UL4D does not have support for OS9.  You'll want to check
that.   So the UL3D may be your best choice amongst the Atto cards.

If you want a single ported card, consider the Adaptec PowerDomain 29160,
but check if OS support goes late enough for you.  I have this vague
feeling that Adaptec stopped providing updates at some point.

Jeff Walther