I posted a question earlier this year regarding the inability for Mail to
work with the email accounts of those with .mac accounts and the inability
to log in to web-based mail via .mac.  I chugged along using my iPhone but
a few months later wandered in to the Apple store for the umpteenth time
with a very forlorn look on my face over the fact that my email system had
gone away forever.  One of the employees (one that had been promoted past
greeter but not quite yet to genius) had pity on me and really tried to
help.  He tried every combination of keystrokes and looked all over Apple's
site.  Then the light bulb over his head came on and he said, "Wait a
minute..."  He went to iCloud.com and voila! there it was!!!  I was able to
access my email from my computer.  There's always the initial prompt
reminding me that I am accessing this with an unsupported browser but the
"ignore" option directs you to the screen from .mac.  Yay!

So, having never really preferred web-based email, now that I can access my
email AT ALL from my Mac, is it possible to treat it as a POP account and
resume using Mail?  My OS is 10.4.11.

Thanks so much,
Claire