I know this doesn't apply to our PPC Macs, and that this is also "old news", but it was something I was unaware of until today. I knew that modern Macs can read-only Windows NTFS volumes, but I thought that to write NTFS you needed 3rd-party software such a NTFS-3G, Tuxera, Paragon NTFS, etc. The post below from over 3 years ago shows how to toggle a native OS X preference to enable native OS X NTFS read/write. It looks like it's a little bit of a hassle, done by individual volume rather than just a global system-wide enabling, but it's native, and free, for Snow Leopard onward:

<http://prasys.info/2009/09/how-to-enable-native-readwrite-ntfs-for-snow-leopard/#more-1882 >