On Nov 13, 2012, at 8:42 AM, spilrules <t...@tomstock.us> wrote:

> My G5 tower recently bit the dust and I have been running on my powerbook G4
> 1.67mhz but can only run one of my two 20" cinema displays previously
> employed by the G5,  The laptop only has one DVI connection.  I am using the
> 15" screen on the laptop as well as one of the 20" monitors, but would like
> to run both of them instead.  Is this possible?  Do I need an adapter (if
> there is such a thing)?

Not really. There's things like this:
<http://www.iogear.com/product/GUC2020DW6/> it's needs USB 2.0; so you would
need a USB 2.0 PC card to connect it with. They claim OS X 10.4 and higher
support, no mention of PPC support.

> Secondly, is it possible to take the hard drive out of the G5, put it into an
> external firewire housing and then be able to boot from it so I could run OS
> 10.5 instead of the 10.4 that is on the powerbook?

Yeah, certainly. SATA-FW external cases are pricey, but OWC sells good ones.

> If this is not possible, can I load OS 10.5 onto the drive in the powerbook
> without removing OS 10.4 so I could boot up in either system, or would I need
> to start anew and partition the drive?  It has a 250GB HD, not the standard
> 80 that came with it originally and there is plenty of available space.  As
> always, thanks for any advice!

Ironically yes, but you need 10.5 to do it :-)

<http://macs.about.com/od/applications/ss/diskutilitysize.htm>

So get the FW enclosure, boot from it, partition your 10.4 drive and install
10.5 on the TiBook...

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona