Hello Rob:

With no disrespect to anyone else's attempts to help, I have had exactly the same problem on my MDD. It occurred after the same basic scenario, adding a 9800 Pro (PC flashed with pins 3 and 11 taped up). After 2 weeks it wouldn't start up or even give me the white LED light when the button was pushed. The only way to make it start was to unplug for 5-10 seconds then replug. If left unplugged for 10 minutes, I had to leave it plugged in for 15 minutes (not 10) then it would restart. Auto power on/off would not work. I struggled with it for years. The best solution was to leave it in sleep mode when ever I would normally shut it down. Because of other problems indicative of the Power Manager, hard disk corruption if automatic sleep was on and other problems, I believe it was most likely a combination of the Power Manager partly failing and a bad capacitor(s) in the power supply.

There is a company in New York that is on the web that will repair the PS for about $85. Just use Google and type in "G4 MDD power supply repair".

If you are interested in fixing it yourself, go to "www.Badcaps.net". There is good advice and the experience of others who repaired MDD G4 power supplies. They are very helpful there.

Good luck, however, I finally gave up when I couldn't get good fresh installs of OS 10.5. I bought a G5 and gave the G4 to Goodwill after stripping it. The hard disks from the G4 had bad partitions (they had been reformatted on the G4 several times) and had to be reformatted to work properly on the G5 (with an ATA card)

Bob