From my knowledge on the PC cards you need to tape the #3 and #11 pin and the rom needs to flashed for it to work... I plug one in on an old G4 and it didn't boot up at all... Now I never heard or knew of a MAC 9800??? If that is what it is does this card have a fan on it? Maybe if it does it might not be spinning or the heat sink fins are packed with dust and dirt? This was the problem with my wife's PC and I ended up putting that 9800 card in her computer with a new fan and that problem simular to what you are having went away!!! I don't know if anyone else may have posted about this because I only read a few of the posts here???

-----Original Message-----
From: frrob
Sent: Dec 7, 2012 4:34 PM
To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: MDD G4 odd start/restart behavior - new video card

Hello!

I have a MDD G4, 1.25 GHz DP, 10.5.8. Last night I installed a Radeon 9800
Pro 128M AGP (DVI) card, replacing the stock Radeon 9000 68M (ADC). My main
motivation for doing this was to have a 128M card, so as to run a larger
monitor at full resolution. I didn't really look for the 9800 Pro, but I
found it at a good price, and the info I found indicated that it would work
in the MDD. One salient point if you're not familiar with the 9800 pro -
apparently the AGP bus doesn't provide enough power for it, so it requires
a secondary power connection from a molex connector, using a splitter from
one of the hard drive power connectors.

In fact, the card does work, more or less. I get great display at 1920 x
1080. But there are two problems. If I shut down the machine and then try
to power it back on, one of two things happens: (1) it won't power on at
all. I press the power button, and literally nothing happens. (2) It will
power up and give me the boot chime, but then show in the center of the
screen a small picture/icon of the Radeon card, with a little ATI logo in
the corner, and in the upper right corner of the graphic a flashing red
molex connector and its wires, signifying that it's not getting power from
the molex. Of course, it was working and getting said power before I shut
it down, so something changed on shutdown, it would seem.

The "solution" I have found to this problem is (if it powered on and gave
me the flashing molex icon) is to manually power it down with the power
button, and (if it didn't power up at all just do this) unplug the machine
for 30 seconds to a minute, then plug it back in. Then it will start up
normally.

Furthermore, if I try to restart, I invariably get the flashing molex
graphic. I then have to manually shut down, unplug, replug, and power on.

The machine seems to sleep OK. I can put it to sleep and wake it, seemingly
regardless of how long it has been asleep, with no problem.

When this first happened, I thought perhaps a cable or something was
physically pressing the motherboard reset button (it is pretty cramped in
there). But no, the button is clear.

I never had these problems with the stock Radeon 9000 ADC card.

So, what is going on? Something seems to be messing with the card's ability
to get power. Is something interfering somehow with the machine's power
management?

I'd like to use the 9800, but if I can't properly start up and restart,
that's a pretty big PITA. Is the 9800 just too much card for the MDD?

Is there some solution to this problem that will allow me to use the 9800?
Or should I stick with the 9000 or another ADC card?

Thanks!

Rob J.

Scars only tell us where we have been, they do not have to dictate where we are going...

“Choose love and peace above all other options.  Commit to the goal of unconditional love and compassion for all life, in all its expressions, and surrender all judgment to God.

--- Dr. David R. Hawkins