Recently got a Power Mac G5 Quad Core 2.5, and the original Apple box had received a hard knock in shipment. One end was punched in (6 inch square area) , and even though the styrofoam inside was also broken in somewhat, there appeared to be no damage to the pristine case.

Unfortunately, the machine would not boot until I got a new battery (had been sitting in its box 6 weeks without connection to a power supply).

At times it would run a while, but I noticed cpu temps were bad for cpu A 84°C and cpu B 24°C. So I shut it down.

Then I was getting LED #1 and #7 staying on all the time.

One link suggested that the cpu might be misaligned, which would be consistent with a hard knock?
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2541117?threadID=2541117

I re-installed the RAM and #7 went away, but I believe #6 came on eventually, possibly indicating cpu B was now misaligned.

On Wednesday, Jan 2, I am hoping that an Apple Tech can reseat the A and B cpus, and replace the cooling system and things will run normally. I want the tech to try this first. Is this reasonable, to ask, before replacing the motherboard?

How much are Quad Core 2.5 G5 motherboards going for now?

The Seller says, and I believe him, that it was running perfectly when it was boxed up 6 weeks ago.

Any comments welcomed. If Insured for Shipping, which it was, shouldn't this be covered by the Carrier?

Hopefully success stories, as I want to get this machine back in good working order. Its the Apple Enthusiast in me.