On 2/13/13 6:04 PM, diane wrote:

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 1:10 AM, No No <grizzledgia...@gmail.com <mailto:grizzledgia...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Hello Diane:

    One, I assume you have set the energy control panel to never
    sleep, closed Preferences, open Preferences, reset sleep setting.
     This can over write bad preference settings.  You can also find
    the energy control panel settings cache (with other personal
    account cached settings in "your account
    name/Library/Caches/com.apple.preferencepanes.cache") and delete
    them.  Preferences need to be reentered.

    Two, PRAM (Apple key, Option key, P, R at the same time on
    computer start from computer off) and Power Manager reset.  PMU
    reset proceeds as:  Turn computer off, wait ten seconds, pull
    plug, pull ALL wires from computer, open case, find small Surface
    Mount Device (SMU) button labeled PMU on motherboard next to two
    ATA cable attachments to motherboard.  Leave battery in
    motherboard.  Wait five minutes or so.  Press button ONCE firmly
    and release immediately, same as when you use the power button to
    start the computer.  Attach power cable, keyboard, video.  Start.
     If the computer will not start, repeat PMU reset procedure, but
    try to press the button more quickly.  You may need to reset PRAM
    after this to get complete start.

    You can also try to find the procedure on the web, but I didn't
    find any specific for the MDD.  What I have given you worked for
    my MDD.

Hi Bob,

I had not done any of what you suggested, as it's always been like this. But it was pretty good for over a month, except if I left it with the dashboard up and running - maybe my radar widget prevents it from sleeping.

After I got your reply, I did try setting it to never, exiting, and resetting it. Repaired permissions. Eventually it would sleep again.

I lost power for a few minutes one day last week and it has not gone to sleep since <sigh>

So now I will step through the rest of your suggestions.

Again, this machine has always behaved like this since I got it 10 years ago. As a matter of fact, if you had asked me I would have said I *don't* have sleep turned on as it just never went to sleep at all. When it did in December, I feared my PS was going again as that's what used to happen, I'd leave it on overnight and it would be off in the morning due to the failing PS. The only way to get it back on then was to unplug it and hit the power button. This time it really was sleeping, and I kind of liked it!

Hopefully it will kick itself back in again.

You could ty and extend the life of the PS by powering the drives separately. Find a AT PS (has a switch) or a external bare drive adapter <http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0063JN3WE/ref=asc_df_B0063JN3WE2392835?smid=A2FI1E57JSSMJ2&tag=dealt361990-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B0063JN3WE>
and use the power supply with PS y cable adapter(s).

Samples:
SATA version
<http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/948775/StarTechcom-12in-LP4-to-2x-SATA/ >

sata/molex
<http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001K9BEZU/ref=asc_df_B001K9BEZU2396467?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=dealt361990-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B001K9BEZU>

2 molex
<http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001K9BEZU/ref=asc_df_B001K9BEZU2396467?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=dealt361990-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B001K9BEZU>

these come in different ends to meet your needs.

May need to leave case door ajar. If over heating occurs use a 12 volt fan on external power (I use a 12 volt wall wart.)

--
The Website your boss doesn't want you to know
about!<http://www.sfi4.com/8770421/FREE>

to g3-5-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.