On Mar 14, 2013, at 8:05 AM, a1 <arichic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not a real fan of the Thunderbird interface, either, and like
> NetNewsWire, it is tethered to one computer, isn't it?
>
> Here is a good article discussing the situation. Man is Google messing
> up.
>
> http://web.appstorm.net/roundups/rssfeeds/google-reader-is-dead-heres-what-you-need-to-replace-google-reader/

One huge point: Google reader is the google *application* to read your google
*account's* RSS feeds. You can use other readers with your google account. I
use Reeder on both my Macs and iPad and everything stays nicely in sync.
NetNewsReader also supports a google account, iirc.

And I agree with many. If the mailing lists get shut down, well, so long and
thanks for all the fish. :-(

Web forums are well-nigh unreadable, not easily combined and filterable (all my
LEM lists are filtered into two folders in my mail client Desktops and
Laptops), and I've never met one that was nearly as usable as a mailing list.

In particular I HATE being sent to a web forum because 'somewhere in this
frakking 3,234 screen thread is the answer to what you want, interspersed with
everyone's 200 pixel high dancing avatars with another 100 px of decorative
frome and dark red fonts on a black background because it looks like 1334 h4X0r
eyecandy so you get like 4 actual posts per page that takes 30 seconds to
reload. And FSM forbid you click on the miniscule 3-pixel high '>>' one pixel
away from the '>' icon that sends you from whatever page you were on to page
3,234, with no way back.

Hmm, have I mentioned my visceral hatred of web forums before?? :-)

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

---