On Mar 14, 2013, at 9:21 AM, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu> wrote:

> And I agree with many. If the mailing lists get shut down, well, so long and
> thanks for all the fish. :-(
>
> Web forums are well-nigh unreadable, not easily combined and filterable (all
> my LEM lists are filtered into two folders in my mail client Desktops and
> Laptops), and I've never met one that was nearly as usable as a mailing list.
>
> In particular I HATE being sent to a web forum because 'somewhere in this
> frakking 3,234 screen thread is the answer to what you want, interspersed
> with everyone's 200 pixel high dancing avatars with another 100 px of
> decorative frome and dark red fonts on a black background because it looks
> like 1334 h4X0r eyecandy so you get like 4 actual posts per page that takes
> 30 seconds to reload. And FSM forbid you click on the miniscule 3-pixel high
> '>>' one pixel away from the '>' icon that sends you from whatever page you
> were on to page 3,234, with no way back.
>
> Hmm, have I mentioned my visceral hatred of web forums before?? :-)

Hmm, since Bruce hijacked this thread to talk about LEM going to web forums
(another thread altogether), I will compound his "error" by seconding his
visceral hatred of web forums. Add to that the pernicious and apparently
unstoppable spread of "clubs" whereby drugstores, grocery stores, and just
about every other seller of something is forcing customers to join their "club"
or be discriminated against with higher prices. They can call it customer
loyalty program or whatever BS they want, but I refuse to carry around a piece
of plastic to show my fealty to every seller who wants me to buy something from
them. And did I mention how I really, really hate people who don't use turn
signals, and especially those who think it's perfectly all right to slow down
for a stop sign but roll right on through if, in their "judgment", it's safe to
do so?

Be careful about this LEM forum thing, Dan. I understand it makes sense for you
in a lot of ways. But the downside is that it very likely will cause the
disintegration of a worldwide community of like-minded folks you've spent way
more than a decade creating and maintaining. So farewell, Bruce, Dan, Dan and
the rest of you who have enlightened my mailbox for years.

Jim Scott
Eureka, CA

---
"G-Group" group.