Op vrijdag 2 augustus 2013 18:17:17 UTC+2 schreef Cheryl H:This old mac
mini has outlived it's usefulness. I am going to have to start using my
Kindle Fire for internet stuff, I guess. Buying a new computer right now is
not an option. Thanks for the info.

Of course, it depends how much patience you have with your "old Mac mini",
but I think it's not that old at alll!
Cameron posted a very good link to this TenFourFox FAQ, which is really
worth quoting in here in full, and then I'll put in my two cents' worth:
----

As sites become larger and use more complex JavaScript, even with the
special acceleration in 10.4Fx, execution will be slow particularly on G3
and early G4 systems. When script runtime exceeds a certain threshold, this
error appears.

You can improve the browser's script performance in a few ways. Try some or
all:

   - Remove unnecessary browser add-ons. These sometimes will interfere
   with some sites.
   - Use the
NoScript<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript>add-on and
allow JavaScript only to run on certain necessary sites.
   - Disable the unresponsive script warning entirely. Instructions are on this
   support
ticket<http://tenfourfox.tenderapp.com/discussions/problems/174-unresponsive-script-warning>.

----------
1. If it were my Mac mini, I would install Tiger, not Leopard. It's a bit
faster, and uses less RAM. That means you have to give up on Time Machine,
but there is CCC to make backups, and most programs that need Leopard also
need an Intel processor.
2. If you have not maxed out the RAM, that would actually be the first
thing to do.
3. Do you have the original harddisk in there? Upgrading that to a newer
one would also speed up things, and they're really not expensive anymore.
4. I don't have a Kindle, so you can hit me if I'm wrong, but I can't
understand what's the big deal with them. I would prefer an Android tablet
ten times over a Kindle Fire, unless I had loads of cash of course to buy
both. I bought a Chinese tablet-like thing for 50$ that has poor software
but works rather well as an epub reader, and it plays (some) videos as
well. No Wifi of course, and it doesn't mount on a Mac, so I have to take
out the micro SD to load stuff onto it, but still.

---
"G-Group" group.
to g3-5-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.