Original message from Manoah F. Adams (Monday, January 6 2014):
> Hi,

Hello!

> I'm trying to upgrade my Quicksilver 2001 800DP video from the stock
> nVidia GeForce2 MX 32MB card to an nVidia FX 5500 (8x AGP).

You forgot to mention if it is a flashed PC card or if it is a Mac variant. If
it is a Mac graphics card you have better chances, but I suspect you should
definitely try the DVI port too.

If you have a second Mac available you could try to use Apple Remote Desktop
to see what you Mac, running the FX5500 then, shows in the System Profiler.
Maybe the driver is missing. Maybe the VGA port isn’t detected (while the DVI
port is). And you would see that it is running correctly apart from the
graphics card output.

> I know my machine is still okay as I'm using it this moment (with the
> old video card).
>
> Has anyone else been down this path before?

You should definitely also zap the NVRAM to clear out graphics settings that
have been left around for the former graphics card.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

That helped—and I hope I recall correctly—in one of my cases…

> I've tried web searches, but always seem to wind up back at that
> article.

Good luck!

---
"G-Group" group.