If this card is a PC card, you’ll need to flash the firmware to Mac firmware
before it will work in a PPC Mac (should work as a PC card in an Intel Mac if
you have the newer nVidia drivers). You can get the firmware ROM at
<http://themacelite.wikidot.com/wikidownloads2>. Flashing it may be a little
complicated. It appears the flash tool used called nvflash is a PC DOS program,
so you’d need a PC with an AGP slot to flash the card. Once flashed, the PC
monitor will likely go black. If there’s a Mac nVidia flash program, you’d need
a Mac PCI video card so you could see the monitor while flashing the AGP card.
I’ve done this many times using a really old and cheap PC booted from a DOS
floppy. Sometimes a ROM doesn’t work, but I’ve always been able to re-flash
with a different ROM, and eventually get a fully functional card. It’s just a
slight hassle.

On Jan 6, 2014, at 5:51 PM, Manoah F. Adams <mhfad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade my Quicksilver 2001 800DP video from the stock nVidia
> GeForce2 MX 32MB card to an nVidia FX 5500 (8x AGP).
>
> After finding that it wouldn't boot with the new card (that is not even into
> firmware stage), I found and followed the tutorial at  Mac Elite
> (<http://themacelite.wikidot.com/pins-3-and-11>) -- specifically, by taping
> pins 3 and 11.
>
> Now, it appears to boot, but without any video output (monitor doesn't
> receive any signals, stays/goes asleep).
>
> I don't have handy any alternative hardware to test the video card separately
> (to check for damage there to, though it's a new card) or to check for output
> from the DVI port, etc.
>
> I know my machine is still okay as I'm using it this moment (with the old
> video card).
>
> Has anyone else been down this path before?
>
> I've tried web searches, but always seem to wind up back at that article.

---
"G-Group" group.
to g3-5-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.