At 2:26 PM +0100 01/17/2014, t...@nehaia.dk wrote:
I can't get more than 14 Mbit from my 50 Mbit connection the line is tested with two different windows machines that get the 50 Mbit fine my 17" powerbook g4 ti running 10.4.11, and my husbands white g5 imac running 10.5.8 both get only 14 Mbit
the powerbook has a 10/100 ethernet card and it is set to full duplex
I find this soooooo strange

Those Macs are certainly capable of doing much better. By example, both my 300-MHz Smurf (G3; Tiger) and 933-MHz QuickSilver (G4; Leopard) can easily peg our fiber service (at various times our Verizon FiOS service has been 15, 30, and 50 Mbps -- depends on how cheap we feel). And when talking to a SmartStor NAS on our LAN (GigE switch), they frequently do 80%+ of their ethernet speeds. (The Smurf is 100Mb and the QS is gigE).

Are you using a wired or wifi connection to your home router? Switches involved?

How exactly are you determining "can't get more than 14 Mbit"?

Are you sure that those aformentioned Windoze machines aren't sucking up the bandwidth? ... I get terrible speedtest results when my housemate's peecee is all infected (he swamps the router with open ports talking to Russian sites, filling its NAT table) or streaming high def vid, etc.

Have you run some traceroutes, to make sure the path between you and your target is clear?

See Nesta's reply... that both Macs get the same throughput could be telling. Check the router and any local switch between you and it...

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.

to g3-5-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.