On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Michal 'vorner' Vaner <vor...@ucw.cz> wrote:
> Hello
>
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 09:24:33PM +0100, Nico Gulden wrote:
>> recently we had a discussion about DVCS in Gajim's groupchat.
>>
>> I vote for switching from SVN to DVCS and below I want to outline why.
>> Because
>> Gajim is mostly implemented in Python, I guess Mercurial (hg) [1] could be
>> the best
>> choice.

I would have to say that the language that your version control system
is implemented in is the least important factor, unless you want to
hack on version control systems that is.  Last I heard Gajim wasn't a
version control system.

> First, I'm not a gajim developer, I just poke to code that runs on my
> machine from time to time, so my preferences have really low importance.
>
> I agree that DVCS is better. However, I prefer git (first, it seems to
> have faster response, second, I know it much better). I guess git is
> more familiar to much more developers than hg. Psi used darcs for a
> while and they found out it is a problem to some of the potential
> developers. But as I say, I'm not a developer of gajim, so do not take
> this as a vote, please.

I'm not a developer of Gajim either, but this website says everything
that I'd like to say about git:

http://whygitisbetterthanx.com/

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

        -- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"