Thanks for the pointer to the updated wrapper and the optional tag.

So is the behavior of the optional="true" tag that if the field form is
left empty for that parameter then it will not be passed to the tool?
I am wondering if a more sophisticated behavior on the UI side of things
for the "optional" tag would still allow for recording that the parameter
is using the default value for the version of that tool but not actually
pass that parameter on the command line in case it influences the behavior
of the tool? Thinking of parameters that should have a default value but
whose actual presence on the command line changes what happens. Though, I
guess this could be done by simply deleting the default value in the
optional parameter has one?

Maybe if the optional tag enabled the parameter itself to be toggled on/off
(grayed out/regular text)? This way a block of advanced parameters could be
enabled without requiring that they all be passed to the tool (or deleting
all their values if they are marked optional).

Just a small note, the update to the tophat wrapper was to the maximum
number of alignments instead of mismatches.

Thanks again,
Andrew