> Maybe we don't understand the feature in the documentation, but this
> isn't the refresh_on_change functionality. In the Tophat tool XML
> there are no refresh_on_change="true" attributes, you are talking
> about a conditional tag which when changing will refresh the page in
> order to expose different parts of a form depending on then value
> chosen, this is a different use case.

The conditional tag has "refresh_on_change" added automatically and is used by
Javascript accordingly.

> The feature we thought exists from the wiki docs is a utility
> refresh_on_change="true" attribute that you can put on any input param
> tag which will cause the page to refresh with the changed state when
> you change the param. It's supposed to replace the deprecated pages
> tags.

Unless there is undocumented functionality, refresh_on_change cannot be
explicitly used:

http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Tools/Tool%20Config%20Syntax

> Once we started needing to make more complex form logic you
> realize that this is not just very useful but necessary.
>
> Here's one example:
>
> <inputs>
>    <param type="data" name="dataset" refresh_on_change="true"
> label="Select a file from you history" />
>    <param type="select" multiple="true" name="dataset_values"
> dynamic_options="get_options_from_file(dataset.file_name)" />
> </inputs>
>
> If the user changes their selection of data from their history it
> should refresh the page and call the dynamic options again to load the
> other select menu with the choices from the new file. Currently you
> have to do this with repeat or pages tags which is really cumbersome
> for the user in the UI or doesn't allow workflowing, respectively.

Page should refresh automatically when dataset is changed and dynamic options
are used. If not, it's a bug.

J.