Thanks Peter,

I tried doing something similar, but there wasn't a location in the galaxy
user's $PATH that would persist across a cluster reboot or could be snapshotted
(like the tools or data volumes). Adding /mnt/galaxyTools/my_dep_binaries or
something to the $PATH would work temporarily, but not past a reboot as
/home/galaxy/.bashrc, /etc/environment, etc are part of the AMI and would be
lost.

In your cluster, wouldn't the galaxy user's ${HOME}/bin be transient? Are you
running with a different EC2 setup or using a different AMI?

-Joel