Hi Greg,

I believe that you do not need to actually copy the data to your workstation (although you could ...) - instead, symbolically link it from the external drive to your workstation so that it appears local. Then upload from that path. The data library upload "by path" option will follow a single symbolic link to data.

This is explained in much more detail in our wiki, please see the section "Upload directory of files":
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/DataLibraries/UploadingLibraryFiles

Sorry for the late reply - this email got sorted incorrectly - it really is best to either send replies back to the mailing list or to start over with a new thread (brand new message "to" list only, not just a reply with a new subject line). This ensures we get your question tagged and tracked - and you benefit from all the helpful developers on this list that know more than I about many technical things Galaxy.

If anyway else has suggestions for Greg, please feel free to add to the post,

Jen
Galaxy team