On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Greg Von Kuster <g...@bx.psu.edu> wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2013, at 11:45 AM, Peter Cock wrote:
>> Actually for the example I am working on, the motif.py script would be
>> the tool executable, called from motif.xml like this:
>>
>> <command interpreter="python">motif.py $fasta_file $tabular_file</command>
>>
>> i.e. A completely self contained Galaxy tool consisting of four files:
>>
>> motif.xml - Galaxy tool definition
>> motif.txt - README file
>> motif.py - Python script which is the tool
>> motif.dat - Data file used by the Python script
>>
>> I am hoping that no further XML configuration files are needed in
>> order to handle the data file.
>>
>> Peter
>
> In this case, your motif.xml file can be configured with the following:
>
> <command interpreter="python">
>     motif.py $fasta_file $tabular_file
> </command>
> <requirements>
>     <requirement type="set_environment">MOTIF_DAT_PATH</requirement>
> </requirements>
>
> and your repository will need to include the following tool_dependencies.xml
> file:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <tool_dependency>
>     <set_environment version="1.0">
>         <environment_variable name="MOTIF_DAT_PATH"
> action="set_to">$REPOSITORY_INSTALL_DIR</environment_variable>
>     </set_environment>
> </tool_dependency>

That seems overly complicated. Would I not be able to assume that
the motif.xml, motif.py, motif.dat etc are all in the same folder (then
I can just use a relative path to find the data file - nice and easy).

If not, how about simply defining $REPOSITORY_INSTALL_DIR within
the XML language so I can do this:

<command interpreter="python">motif.py $fasta_file $tabular_file
$REPOSITORY_INSTALL_DIR/motif.dat</command>

And/or defining $REPOSITORY_INSTALL_DIR as an environment variable
which I can then use in the script (be it Python, Perl, shell, etc)?