On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM, Greg Von Kuster <g...@bx.psu.edu> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for your thoughts on this.  I've created the following Trello card for
> this enhancement.
>
> https://trello.com/card/galaxy-tool-enhancement-to-accommodate-repository-install-dir/506338ce32ae458f6d15e4b3/636
>
> The priority for the tool shed in the area of tool dependencies like this has
> been
> the implementation of features that enable sharing a single dependency across
> multiple tools in separate repositories, so your scenario is not yet
> supported.
>
> This enhancement would actually be as much (or perhaps more) on the Galaxy
> end than the tool shed, I think, so there may be more resources available to
> get
> to it sooner than I can right now.  Of course, someone wil get to it as soon
> as
> possible.
>
> Thanks again for all of your feedback and insight on this.
>
> Greg Von Kuster

Hi Greg,

I've read http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/InstallingRepositoriesToGalaxy
which is targeted at Galaxy administrators rather than tools authors.
It explains how a revision specific folder is assigned to each installed
tool, but what (if anything) of the Tool's folder structure is preserved?

e.g. One of the paths given is:

.../shed_tools/toolshed.g2.bx.psu.edu/repos/devteam/emboss_datatypes/a89163f31369/emboss_datatypes/datatypes_conf.xml

The prefix is the revision specific path for that tool for that Tool Shed,

.../shed_tools/toolshed.g2.bx.psu.edu/repos/devteam/emboss_datatypes/a89163f31369/

Within that, it seems to preserve the emboss_datatypes folders. i.e.
goto http://toolshed.g2.bx.psu.edu/view/devteam/emboss_datatypes
and click browse repository tip files from the top left actions menu,
it has just one file: emboss_datatypes/datatypes_conf.xml

Based on a sample of one, it seems the installation process just
unpacks the tool shed files (well, probably using hg rather than
unpacking a tar-ball), and preserves their relative path structure.
If so, I can just use relative paths to find a data file from the tool
executable's own location on disk. (This is what I was hoping
would be the case - I'm looking for explicit confirmation).

i.e. For the example use case, if motif.py and motif.dat are in the
same folder in the Tool Shed upload, they will be in the same folder
as each other once installed. That way motif.py can easily locate the
data file motif.dat by looking in the same folder as it itself is located.
This is actually very simple (provided I can assume the local folder
structure is maintained).

(I think I was originally on the wrong track by assuming I should
be using the tool-data folder, which is complicated by not knowing
where that will existing on disk).