Hello all,

Feel free to point it out if I have missed something obvious, I have done a
fair bit of investigation and haven't quite found the solution yet.

We have some hardware that has been around for a while for the purpose of
processing Genetic data and other related tasks.
To this end Galaxy fits the bill nicely in that it enables researchers to
analyse data without being Linux geeks.

The problem I have is that while the hand built galaxy server (running on SUSE
for historical reasons) we have works to a point it is difficult to maintain
and installing new tools and reference genomes is fiddly at best given that our
server doesn't conform to the way the instructions for other systems expect it
to work.

We have had success using Cloudman on AWS to run training on how to use galaxy,
and I would like to know more about how to customise and instance to contain
all of the tools (mostly the NGS tools) we need by default.

Ultimately we wont be able to use AWS to process much of the "real" data we
have, because of a need to keep the data we are processing in-house due to
ethics agreements. Fortunately we do have access to a modest pool of hardware
(which is about to get bigger) to implement some kind of private cloud
solution.

How would I go about setting up a "private cloud" version of the cloudman style
"galaxy instance on demand" system where researchers can start an instance,
have it connect to a shared storage volume and process some data then terminate
the instance? And is this even the best way to go?

I have found it should be possible to use the scripts to install and configure
the galaxy instances but I have not found any information on how to setup the
environment that is required to make this work as a private cloud.

Conversely I have found information about some private cloud scenarios such as
Eucalyptis, and OpenStack but have not been able to join the dots to determine
how to and if I can make the cloudman/galaxy usecase work on it.

I should mention that I'm primarily a Windows Sys Admin (who dabbles in Linux)
who is looking at this due to a lack of a dedicated Linux admin.

At the end of the day I need to be able to setup this system and make it as low
maintenance as possible whilst being useful and accessible to the researchers
who aren't Linux admins.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Regards,

Alistair