Right, nevermind, 'hg log' listed that changeset 10953:e786022dc67e.

Changing DEFAULT_ENCODING to 'latin-1' in lib/galaxy/util/__init__.py worked.

Do I need to alter ALL the MySQL tables to UTF-8, or just a selection of
tables?  Will future updates explicitly create new tables with CHARSET=utf-8,
or do I need to reconfigure MySQL to have a new default?

-- David

On Dec 5, 2013, at 12:32 PM, John Chilton wrote:

> [...]
> is in your distribution and if it is try changing:
>
> DEFAULT_ENCODING = 'utf-8'
>
> in lib/galaxy/util.py to
>
> DEFAULT_ENCODING = 'latin-1'
>
> If that works then - I can create a database_encoding_default option
> in universe_wsgi.ini and let you switch it to latin-1 instead of
> needing to patch Galaxy. Otherwise, setting the MySQL tables to be
> UTF-8 is probably the better approach - though again - backup and test
> before applying that change in production.
>
> Hope this helps,
> -John
>

> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 11:17 AM, John Chilton <chil...@msi.umn.edu> wrote:
>> David, Christian,
>>
>> Very sorry about this - this is probably related to fixing some other
>> errors -
>> http://dev.list.galaxyproject.org/Unicode-in-tool-stderr-crashing-galaxy-tt4661749.html#a4661750.
>> I will try to look into this.
>>
>> Christian - what database are targeting? Is it MySQL as well?
>>
>> David - do you have a test setup you can hack on? I wonder if this
>> would go away if you converted your tables to UTF-8.
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6115612/how-to-convert-an-entire-mysql-database-characterset-and-collation-to-utf-8
>>
>> That is not my official recommendation though - I need to do some more
>> research first.
>>
>> -John
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Christian Hundsrucker
>> <christian.hundsruc...@fmi.ch> wrote:
>>> Hi David, hi all!
>>>
>>> I have a similar/the same issue in another setting...
>>>
>>> galaxy/galaxy_dist/lib/galaxy/jobs/runners/local.py", line 116, in queue_job
>>>    job_wrapper.finish( stdout, stderr, exit_code )
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> galaxy/galaxy_dist/eggs/SQLAlchemy-0.7.9-py2.6-linux-x86_64-ucs4.egg/sqlalchemy/orm/persistence.py",
>>> line 485, in _emit_update_statements
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> UnicodeEncodeError: 'latin-1' codec can't encode character u'\u2018' in
>>> position 134: ordinal not in range(256)
>>>

>>> I am integrating a set of R/Bioconductor modules into our local Galaxy
>>> instance.
>>> To do so, I use the discard_stderr_wrapper.sh.
>>> It worked fine until the recent update*
>>> As the error appears upon any R-output (via print, cat or error channel), I
>>> just set the option "-v" for the cat command in the
>>> discard_stderr_wrapper.sh:
>>>
>>> cat $TMPFILE >&2
>>> =>
>>> cat -v $TMPFILE >&2
>>>

>>> as a temporary workaround.
>>> No idea if this is applicable in your case?!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Christian
>>>
>>> *
>>> changeset:   11219:5c789ab4144a
>>> branch:      stable
>>> tag:         tip
>>>

>>> On 05.12.2013 17:29, David Hoover wrote:
>>>
>>> I have installed the ngsplot galaxy tool from
>>> files.  In older versions of Galaxy, the tool ran correctly with no
>>> problems.  A recent update broke the tool.  The job runs but is unable to