Hmmm... can you try adding "?charset=utf8" to your database connection
string - that may fix the problem?

If not - is there a way to tell if the actual columns have changed.
Some comments on stackoverflow make it sound like the commands you
listed will only affect new columns.

Can you try the CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET.

ALTER TABLE tbl_name CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

I don't think the problem is sqlalchemy right - this works for
postgres and sqlite I believe - it is either that MySQL cannot store
UTF-8 data in that column or there is a problem in the mysql
connector. It is not clear to me where the problem is based on your
stack trace and explanation. I would be happy to work around a
limitation in the mysql connector by adding a config option to Galaxy
if I were certain that there was a bug in the mysql connector.

-John