Hello Anne,
Overall, what we typically recommend is to launch a new instance and
configure it as desired (eg, with tools, histories, and datasets of
interest for the workshop). Then share that instance (using the CloudMan
share-a-cluster feature
<http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/13/315> -> small
green icon next to the cluster name on the main CloudMan console) and
create a number of replicas of the shared instance for use during the
workshop. For RNA-Seq workshops, for example, we generally stick with about
10 participants per instance. Here's a page with some empirical-based
recommendations regarding choosing instance types:
https://wiki.galaxyproject.org/CloudMan/AWS/CapacityPlanning

We are also currently working on a templated training image
<https://trello.com/c/Uc1Gd5Vv/157-cloudmain-train-training-shareable-instance>
that would come populated with a number of training artifacts. This may be
ready for use by Sep 24th.

Finally, Dave Clements (CC'd) has a lot of hands on experience with setups
for various workshops so he may be able to chime in and provide additional
feedback.

Hope this helps and let us know if you have any more questions,
Enis